| A picture of 39 eggs Maurice collected one morning from the precious chickens! |
Since the email, I have talked to Mama Betty about 3 times on the phone this week eagerly getting updates. One day Mama Betty told me she spent the whole day taking care of the chicks - she is as excited as I am about them! The first day the chicks laid about 6 eggs. The picture that Maurice sent me from a fews days later has 39 eggs he collected in one morning! It is "normal" for between 85% and 90% of your chickens to lay eggs everyday once they are in full swing. So, hopefully in the next few weeks we will be collecting 180 eggs every day to sell! Can you imagine???
We have also decided that since we have an empty chicken coop now (the one we raised the baby chicks in before they were moved to the new coop) that we are going to purchase 100 broilers (which are chickens that we can raise and sell for their meat). These chicken have a quicker turn-over and hopefully we can sell them by January-ish. We are excited about this project too and I am hoping that some of the student teachers that are there now will also contribute to this project.
I wanted to thank everyone who donated to the chicken project before. I hope you are just as excited as I am that the chickens you helped purchase are now a money-making machine that will help Epico Jahns be more self-sustaining. Mama Betty and I decided that the money collected from the project will be split between paying for food for the students at the school and paying the teachers' salaries.
So, Asante Sana (thank you very much in kiSwahili)! I will keep you all updated on the project as I hear more from Mama Betty!
woo!!! That's awesome!!! This is going to make a huuuge difference for them :) very exciting!
ReplyDelete