So, I suck at keeping my blog updated. My last entry (which I posted about a month
ago) started this “mini-series” if you will, about my transition here in
Monterrey and how it is helping me better understand the people and the
children that God has placed around me, as well as understanding myself better.
I am continuing that series now:
Excerpt from my journal on June 26, 2013 (11 days after
arriving in Monterrey)
I am a
complete mess and I feel alone. I need
Jesus. I need his presence and I need his perspective. I need to know when I am
being selfish, stubborn, and prideful in my thinking and my actions. I need to know that he is with me.
I feel
alone in my brokenness and what’s worse is I know it is my fault. I have been waiting around for staff to reach
out to me and recognize my pain and my needs and I have spent basically zero
time in God’s Word, presence, or in prayer.
I used to be so content with just God.
What happened? I'll tell you
what happened... I stopped living from the
perspective of the kingdom in many ways and I stopped guarding my time with the
Lord. I stopped seeking pleasure in his
presence alone, but I want that. For the
past little while I have just wanted somebody to take initiative with me. I have struggled my whole life feeling like I
am always the one to take initiative in different relationships. I just feel like for once I want somebody to
come to me and say “Hey, I want to be your friend. I want to spend time with you and I am
excited about it. When there is a crowd
of people I want to look for you so I can be by you.” And when this doesn’t
happen, you begin to believe the lie that it is because you aren’t worthy of
being that kind of person for anyone.
That you really aren’t interesting or important enough for someone to
care about.
As I write
this, I imagine this is how many of the children I am surrounded by feel. They first have been dropped off in an
unfamiliar place that they know nothing about nor do they know anybody there.
Living in a children’s home means they are always a part of a big
group. Their caregivers are so busy they
have little time to spend individually with the children. I imagine these kids, too, just want someone
to take initiative with them. To tell
them, I choose you. You are truly special. I want to sit next to you not because it is
the only open seat, but because I want to be with you. I see past your front you put up and I know
you are hurting and I want to listen to you. I want to ask you questions
because I think you are interesting and your life is important. Something really big and difficult has happened in your life. I want to pray
with you. I want to affirm you and let
you know you are not alone. I might not
understand you, but I care about you and I care that you are hurting right now.
I am going to do more than just smile at you when I see you, but I am going to
make you feel like you are on the top of my priority list.
I say all
of this to say that I am coming to the end of myself and I imagine that many of
the kids around me feel the same way. We
feel weak and weary and anytime things get the slightest bit serious we either
close off or break down. Sometimes it is
easier to just pretend like we don’t care or don’t want to be around others,
when that is the exact thing that we actually want. We can’t always identify
the root cause of this, but one thing I do know is that we need Jesus. We need the Holy Spirit to comfort and
correct us. We need the Holy Spirit and
God’s Word to protect us from believing these blatant lies by reminding us of
the Truth of who it is that God created us to be. We are tired of/from life and we just need
our Father.
anna, there is a lot of wisdom in these words—lifelong lessons— and i am convicted by your honesty. thank you for being willing to share!
ReplyDeletemichaela
Thank you Michaela!
ReplyDelete